Buying your first home in St Helens? A little bit of research now can save you a lot of time, money and trouble further down the line. Follow this simple checklist and you'll be on the way to owning your first dream property!
1. Determine your budget - figure out how much you can afford. This is based on how much you can borrow and the deposit that you have. A mortgage broker will be able to assess your personal circumstances and approach lenders to determine your realistic price range.
2. Write down your criteria - what are you looking for in your first property? Being clear will save you house of endless scrolling through Rightmove and Zoopla. It is also useful to have a list to pass to estate agents to make them clear on your requirements.
3. Begin your search - have a look around at houses that fall into your budget and property requirements. This can be done using a range of websites, online search engines and apps. Register with an estate agents and let them know what you are looking for.
4. Book a viewing - when you have narrowed down a house that you are interested in, go ahead and book a viewing. You will need to ensure you know what to look for, so have a look at our Viewing Checklist beforehand.
5. Make an offer - if you have found a property you want to buy, the next stage involves making an offer. This is usually organised by an estate agent. Make your offer realistic but ensure you are getting value for your money.
6. Choose a solicitor and surveyor - solicitors handle the legal issues involved in the property buying process. Simply contact a reputable firm and they will offer you a quote. A surveyor's job is to check the property for any problems you might have missed during the viewing.
7. Finalise your offer - There may be a possibility of renegotiating the offer at this stage. Any renegotiation will be based on any problems found by the survey or the possibility that the lender values the property at a lower price.
8. Finalise your mortgage - When your offer has been finalised, it is then time to contact your lender to proceed. Lenders will give you at least seven days from this point to check if the mortgage is suitable and the right one for you.
9. Exchange contracts - make sure you have gone through the contracts with your solicitor and that everything is in order. When you are happy with all of the details and everything is in line with what you've agreed, it will be time to sign and complete the sale.
10. Final steps - at this stage, the money owed to buy the property will be transferred from your solicitor's account to the seller's account. Usually, there is a deadline of four weeks between the exchange of contracts and completion of sale. If everything has gone to plan, then you will soon be ready to move into your new home.
Buying your first house can seem like a daunting prospect. We are here to help you every step of the way. To discuss your forthcoming property purchase with a Property Consultant call today on 01744 88 33 22
T. 01744 883 322 E. email@example.com
© Stapleton Derby 2017. All rights reserved. Stapleton Derby is a trading name of Stapleton Derby Limited which is a company registered with Companies House (no.05279427) / Estate Agency Websites by