Thinking about investing in a new build in St Helens, and want the low-down on whether or not it’s a sound investment?
Our comprehensive guide covers everything you need to know about the latest trends in the local housing market, focusing on the pros and cons of new build properties for sale in this thriving location.
Now, as we are leading estate agents in St Helens, you might assume this blog post would be more than a little biased. After all, it’s pretty obvious that we want you to invest in property here!
However, at Stapleton Derby Estate Agents, we pride ourselves on being open and honest with potential buyers. It’s important that you know exactly what you’re getting into when investing your hard earned cash. With this in mind, we’ll also cover potential issues you might come across. (We’re good like that.)
So, whether you’re after a two bedroom ground floor apartment to rent out, you’re looking to buy your very first property, or you’re a growing family on the hunt for your forever home, read on to explore the potential of new builds for sale in St Helens.
New builds for sale in St Helens vs older properties
Investing in a new build property offers several advantages over older homes, especially in today’s property market. Let’s take a look at these benefits:
- Modern design and technology: New builds come equipped with the latest design trends and technological advancements. These can include smart home features, modern fittings, and contemporary layouts that cater to today’s modern lifestyles.
- Energy efficiency: New properties are built with energy efficiency in mind. They tend to have better insulation, efficient heating systems, and sometimes even renewable energy sources like solar panels. This not only helps in reducing your carbon footprint but will also translate to significant savings on your energy bills.
- Low maintenance: New builds require less maintenance than older properties. Everything from the roof to the appliances is brand new, which means less wear and tear and fewer repairs will be needed in the short term.
- Warranty and guarantees: Many new builds come with warranties, like the NHBC (National House Building Council) 10-year warranty in the UK, which covers various structural issues.
- Customisation options: With new build properties, there’s often the possibility to customise aspects of your home before construction is completed. This can range from choosing kitchen finishes to flooring options, allowing you to personalise your space from the start.
- Regulatory compliance: New properties are built to comply with the latest building regulations, which means they meet high standards in safety, insulation, and construction quality.
- Investment potential: As new builds are built in line with current market trends, they often hold their value better than older properties.
- Community development: Many new build properties in this area are part of broader community developments, including amenities like parks, schools, and shopping areas, adding to the quality of life and potential property value.
- Environmental impact: New construction methods are often more environmentally friendly, using sustainable materials and reducing waste, which is increasingly important to many buyers.
- No chain: One of the biggest advantages? There’s no property chain, which can make the buying process smoother and quicker.
What financial incentives are available for new build houses for sale in St Helens?
There are a range of financial incentives available to make the process of buying a new home more accessible and affordable.
Here are some of the schemes that could help to make your property dreams a reality:
This means you can buy a share in a new build property of between 10% and 75% and pay rent on the rest.
The advantages are that you’ll need a smaller deposit and your monthly mortgage payments will be lower.
You’ll have the option to buy the remaining shares at a later date, when you’re hopefully not quite so strapped for cash.
First Homes Scheme
If you’re a first-time property buyer or a keyworker, you should be eligible for a discount of at least 30% on any new build property.
Lifetime ISAs (LISAs)
If you’re between 18 and 39, you can save for a home and the government will add a 25% government bonus to your contributions.
95% Mortgages for First-Time Buyers
Mortgages requiring only a 5% deposit are an attractive option if you’re a bit short on savings.
This new build scheme is supported by lots of lenders and builders, and is a great way to get your foot on the property ladder as a first time buyer.
Normally, you’d need a big deposit, but with deposit unlock, you just need to find 5% of the property’s price – much more manageable.
How does the town’s location impact the value of new builds in St Helens?
Nestled snugly between Liverpool and Wigan, and boasting several train stations, St Helens’ location is super convenient for getting around, whether for work or pleasure.
Houses tend to be more affordable here than in the big cities, and with all the development going on, you’re looking at a sound investment.
There’s a selection of good schools to choose from, making the town a solid pick for families.
All in all, it’s a safe, quiet spot, but still with plenty to do – nice parks, shops, and places to eat.
What should buyers look for in a new build property in St Helens?
When eyeing up new build properties for sale in the town, there are a few key things to keep in mind.
First, do your homework on the developer. A good track record means a lot in terms of quality and trust. Check out build quality and any warranties offered. It’s important to get some peace of mind and feel comfortable with your investment.
Also, if you’re getting in early, you might even have a say in how your new place gets kitted out, so ask if any customisation options are offered.
Another important factor is ensuring the house offered for sale ticks all your boxes. Whether you need a 3 bedroom property, a spacious garden, an extra bedroom that could work as an office, or a garage is an absolute must, make sure the property meets your specific needs.
Next, find out how energy-efficient the place is. With the cost of living on the rise, efficient homes can save you a pretty penny in the long run.
Location’s obviously important, too. Have a gander at different areas within the town to find your perfect spot.
Whether being close to top-notch schools is at the top of your list of priorities, or it’s vital that you have great transport links for an easy commute, the exact location within the town can make all the difference.
Lastly, you should always check out your potential neighbours. St Helens folk are known for being a friendly bunch, and a friendly community and handy local services can turn a house into a home.
Are there any risks associated with buying a new build in St Helens?
Buying a new build, like any property investment, comes with potential risks. So, as promised, we’ll talk you through them to give you a full picture before you take the leap.
Here are some of the things to consider before you buy a new build property in St Helens (or anywhere else for that matter):
- Snagging issues: New build properties can sometimes have minor issues or ‘snags’, like small cosmetic flaws or appliances not installed correctly. It’s a good idea to have a survey done before moving in.
- Delays in construction: Construction timelines can be unpredictable. Delays can happen due to weather, supply chain issues, or other factors. However, these delays are no more than those you would face when buying an older property with a chain of buyers. And if you buy a new build property that’s already completed construction, you won’t have any worries here!
- Initial depreciation: Just like when you buy a new car, a new build property might initially go down in value. However, unlike new cars, new build properties start to appreciate in value before too long!
- Developers’ financial health: If a developer faces financial difficulties, it could impact the completion of your property or quality of the build. That’s why it’s super important to do your research on the developer’s track record.
- Warranty limitations: While warranties like the ones offered by NHBC provide peace of mind, they have limitations. It’s a good idea to check out what the warranty covers and what it doesn’t.
As with any investment, it’s wise to make yourself aware of potential risks. However, at Stapleton Derby Estate Agents, we’ll be with you through every step of the buying process.
We’ll make sure you’re always kept in the loop, helping you to make any decisions and minimising any uncertainties.
Long-term investment potential of new builds in St Helens
St Helens is on the up and up, and so is the value of new builds here.
The town is getting a massive makeover thanks to the council’s £69.2 million investment.
The cash is going to transform the town centre, with a new market hall, a swanky hotel, lots of new houses, and plenty of shops. This is great news for the town and is expected to really boost the area.
There’s a huge demand for new build lettings here, with professional tenants queuing up and yields looking good for those planning to rent out their property.
Overall, this mix of heavy investment, high demand for properties to rent, and the handy location between Liverpool and Wigan makes St Helens a smart choice for property investors.
Take the next step
At Stapleton Derby Estate Agents, we have a wide range of new build properties for sale. So, whether you’re after a stylish apartment or a spacious four bedroom house, we’re bound to have something that catches your eye!
As one of the longest established estate agents in the area, we have years of experience in the local housing market, so we’re perfectly placed to give you all the advice you’ll need.
Check out our properties for sale in St Helens today. If you don’t spot exactly what you’re after, give us a call on 01744 88 33 22 with your requirements and we’ll let you know as soon as we find a match!